What Is Cosmetic Surgery
Cosmetic surgery is an elective medical procedure that alters your physical appearance. It’s carried out for aesthetic reasons, rather than being a medical necessity, and can involve both invasive surgery processes and/or non-invasive procedures.
Cosmetic Surgery: What you need to know
· Cosmetic surgery vs. plastic surgery
· Who performs cosmetic surgery?
Cosmetic surgery vs. plastic surgery
The terms “cosmetic surgery” and “plastic surgery” are often used interchangeably. However, this isn’t technically correct. The former (cosmetic) is a procedure carried out to enhance a person’s appearance. The latter (plastic) is more about repairing any defects—genetic, from trauma, or caused by another surgical procedure—and reconstructing a normal function and appearance.
Who performs cosmetic surgery?
Cosmetic surgery is carried out by highly skilled clinicians. Many have their roots in plastic surgery and have taken additional training to be able to perform cosmetic procedures.
To qualify as a cosmetic surgeon, it’s necessary to undergo a strict and very distinct certification process. To become a board-certified cosmetic surgeon requires the successful completion of training that requires you to become proficient in over 300 cosmetic procedures.
The Different Types of Cosmetic Surgery
· Cosmetic surgery for the face
· Cosmetic surgery for the breasts
· Cosmetic surgery for the body
· A word about non-surgical procedures
Cosmetic surgery for the face
There are many different types of cosmetic surgery that can enhance facial anatomy. These can be broken down into the following categories:
- Facelift: To create a more youthful appearance. Depending on your requirements, this could be a full or partial lift, working on areas such as the cheeks, lower face, jaw, and neck regions.
- Rhinoplasty: Or nose surgery—a commonly carried out procedure to reshape and/or resize the nose.
- Eye surgery: Includes brow lifts and eyelid surgery.
- Neck lift: The skin on the neck is very delicate and one of the first to show signs of aging. A neck lift can successfully remove fat, the appearance of a double chin, jowls, and tighten any sagging skin.
Sometimes more than one procedure is carried out at the same time to achieve the required result.
Cosmetic surgery for the breasts
Breast surgery, or breast enhancement, tends to fall into the following three categories:
- Breast augmentation: This is a bespoke procedure that shapes and sizes the breasts to best enhance the individual contours of the body.
- Breast reduction: Carried out to reduce the size of the breasts.
- Augmentation mastopexy: The technical name for a breast lift. It’s often carried out in conjunction with breast augmentation.
Cosmetic surgery for the body
There are many different types of cosmetic surgeries for the body. They include:
- Liposuction: A sculpting procedure to remove fat from various body areas (thighs, abdomen, arms, chin, cheeks, etc.)
- Gynecomastia: Also referred to as male breast reduction. The aim is to flatten and sculpt the chest to create a honed appearance.
- Arm lift: Contours the underlying tissues of the upper arms by removing sagging skin and unwanted fat.
- Thigh lift: Removes fat and skin to tighten and improve the appearance of the legs.
- Abdominoplasty: Often called a tummy tuck, excess skin and fat are removed to create a toned abdomen (belly).
A word about non-surgical procedures
Cosmetic surgery also encompasses a variety of non-surgical procedures. These include injectables, such as Botox and dermal fillers, and the use of surgical-grade products that can enhance all areas of the body.
The key to effective non-surgical procedures is to choose your clinician with care. It’s highly recommended that you only undergo such treatment from a board-certified cosmetic surgeon. That way you know that the procedure is safe and is being carried out by an individual who has undergone extensive training to bring about the very best results.
Contact Dr. Palmer For The Ultimate Cosmetic Surgery, Fort Lauderdale
Palmer Cosmetic Surgery is a leading cosmetic surgery clinic in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The clinical team is led by Russel Palmer, MD. a man who’s dedicated his career to bringing the ultimate in cosmetic surgical procedures to his patients.
Find out more at https://palmercosmeticsurgery.com and give their friendly team a call for a no-obligation and confidential chat.