Rhinoplasty is a popular form of cosmetic surgery that re-shapes the nose, with nearly 219,000 surgeries carried out last year in the US alone. But while it’s a common procedure, there are many questions to be answered before taking the plunge. The following are some of the most important aspects to understand and discuss with your chosen cosmetic surgeon prior to making a final decision as to whether or not the procedure is suitable for you.
- Your nose is unique: In addition, the look of it is affected by its surrounding features—in other words, the other elements of your face. So while you might see shapes of the appendage that you like, a replication of the exact structure will appear different on you. This makes it vital to talk to your surgeon about your expectations, using pictures of others as more of an inspiration, rather than simply saying, “I want that nose”.
- There are different procedures: A so-called, “nose job,” isn’t a singular procedure. Options for the surgery are carried out in a manner that suits your particular needs and is generally either a “closed” or “open” technique. The former is the less invasive, with the incision being made inside the nose. The latter requires the skin to be lifted through a small incision made between the nostrils.
- Final results can take up to 12 months: While an immediate difference may be apparent, it can take months for the swelling to completely subside and the skin to contract. The key to quality rhinoplasty isn’t that of a sudden change, but more of a sensitive improvement on the original that Mother Nature blessed you with.
- It’s not all about looks: In many cases, surgery on the nose is carried out for medical reasons, such as chronic sinus infections, deviated septum, or breathing difficulties.
- Rhinoplasty is often combined with other procedures: If there’s more than one aspect of your appearance that you’d like to improve, it might be possible to do so concurrently. Reshaping cheeks or the chin can often further complement the aesthetic aspects of rhinoplasty, leading to even more enhanced results.
- There are often psychological benefits as well: For anyone who’s suffered years of worry about their appearance, the results of rhinoplasty might reach far further than that of looks alone. An increased level of confidence is the most common “side effect”, often leading to other positive changes in other areas of a person’s life.
The crucial element of any successful cosmetic surgery is the ability of the surgeon. For anyone who lives in the Florida region or is prepared to travel, then Dr. Palmer of Palmer Cosmetic Surgery is a leading provider of the latest techniques for rhinoplasty. Fort Lauderdale-based, his clinic specializes in the procedure, as well as being the go-to surgeon for many celebrated clients who appreciate his expertise, sensitivity, and discretion.Whatever the reason for considering rhinoplasty, be sure to talk through all the options with your chosen surgeon. Only once all your questions have been fully answered should you make the final decision on whether or not the procedure will be suitable for you.